Wednesday, May 8, 2019

The Author Behind the Story Series - Julie B. Cosgrove


It's that time of year when Moms and Dads all over the United States prepare to usher their children into the real world. No, we're not talking about the birthing process. We're talking about high school graduation. Some will go off to college. Some will get a J-O-B. Regardless of your situation, we wish all the graduates congratulations for staying the course all thirteen years and reaching this milestone. One day, like us older people, you'll look back on those days and say to yourself, "Man, am I glad those days are over! Wouldn't want to be eighteen years old again for any amount of money." Trust me. One day, you'll understand.


Maybe some of those graduates will become writers...which brings me to our next guest on the Author Behind the Story series, Julie B. Cosgrove!

Welcome, Julie! Have a seat on the Florida front porch, where it is currently raining. But just give it five minutes, and the sun will be shining, the roads will be steaming, and the humidity will be as comfortable as a sauna. 

In fifty words or less, tell our readers this: Who is Julie B. Cosgrove?

I am the third daughter of the third daughter (Mom) of the third daughter (grandmother) of the third daughter (great-grandmother). And yes, I broke tradition and had one son. That, of course, was before I had fifteen faith-based novels published and became a digital missionary.

But you could have worked at having a third daughter, right? Just kidding. Probably not the best reason to have children. (This is where Tevye steps in and says, "Tradition!")


Before you ever got a notion of becoming a writer/author, how old were you, and what were you doing in that time of your life?

After getting my degree in Humanities and Religion and studying in seminary, I became a medical office manager for three decades, then turned freelance writer, then digital missionary for CRU as well as an award-winning author. Frankly, I wanted to be a ballet dancer, religion professor, or interior designer, but none of those were God’s plan. Now I dance inside when a plot comes together, I profess my Lord in all of my main characters’ lives, and He has been redesigning my interior since my teens. I hope my writings help others get redesigned as well.

I’m going to give you a shotgun list of favorites. List your favorite in each category and then tell us in one sentence why it is your favorite

Favorite Song of All-Time: Shout to the Lord because it came out right before Katrina hit, and I was in that horrid time. It gave me hope.
Favorite Non-Fiction Book (other than your own & besides the Bible): When God Whispers Your Name by Max Lucado, because I relate to his style of writing, and he says profound things I know are Spirit-driven.
Favorite Bible Verse: Matthew 6:25
Favorite Movie: The List of Adrian Messenger – a quintessential British murder mystery with an amazing surprise ending.
Favorite Actor or Actress: Audrey Hepburn, Sean Connery (after 007 years) because they were both so very versatile in their acting.
Favorite TV Show: Midsomer Murders, because it is set in England, a mystery and at times humorous, though a few are a bit racy.
Favorite Novel (other than your own):  The Ivy Tree, because it hooked me on suspense mysteries and to British novelist Mary Stewart…the next answer.
Favorite Author (other than you): Mary Stewart (deceased), Mary Daheim because of her humorous cozy mysteries.
Favorite Sport: Swimming. I am a river rat, was with a synchronized swimming team and taught it as my high school job.
Favorite Team (Can be any sport, any level): I really don’t have one, sorry. (What? No futbol teams? Cricket?)
Favorite Subject in School Growing Up: English because I love words, their meanings and wordsmithing.
Favorite Subject Now: Does reading count? (It does these days. It usually has the word "Intensive" in front of it.)
Favorite Teacher in School:  My college professor Dr. Garcia, a Cuban refugee who was fluent in seven languages and yet had an amazing sense of humor and great laugh.
Favorite Time of the Year: Spring, in Texas because the weather is mild, and the wildflowers blanket the meadows.
Favorite Place to Vacation: What’s a vacation?
Favorite Drink: Vanilla Chai Tea for the taste and aroma.
Favorite Food: Tacos…I am from Texas. 

For all the pet lovers out there, answer this question: Do you have any? 

I’ve always been a cat person. I got my first one at the age of three, and throughout my life, except for when I was in the dorm in college, I have always had at least one. Until recently, I was the servant of two old house cats, one 19 and one 10, who were my joy in my widowhood the past eight years. But I’ve lost them both in the past six months. Now, I only take care of me, and to be honest, it is rather nice. I may get a Guinea pig, though, since I live in a small apartment. I love their chortle and whistle.

What makes you cringe?

Hearing someone say a snarky or cutting remark to another person.

Uh-oh. Maybe I should go back a delete a few things... :-/

Of all the stories/books you have written, which one is your favorite? And what compelled you to write this story?

Freed to Forgive is by far my favorite because my publisher asked me to write the biography of a minor character in one of my other novels. She is a trafficked teenage immigrant who learns that her anger shackles her far more than her captors ever did. Hers is a story of triumph, one I wish more traffic victims experienced.  I researched the topic heavily and Marisol tugged at my heart strings. She still does, four years later, which is why I am asked to speak on the topic to civic and church groups even now.

I love cozies, though and enjoy writing them. The Bunco Biddies Mysteries were my first series about senior sleuths in a 55-plus community. Now I have switched to thirty-something genealogy buff ladies in the Relatively Seeking Mysteries, who are close friends yet each very different in personality and background.

Tell us about what project you are currently working on. 

I just finished the third in the Relatively Seeking mysteries and turned it in to my publisher for editing. It’s called Leaf Me Alone and will release in February 2020. She is interested in me continuing the series, but after fifteen novels, I’m taking a break. 

Knowing what you know now about writing, publishing, etc., what piece of advice would you give to the person thinking about writing that novel they have always wanted to pursue since they were young, or the person who believes they have a non-fiction book in them that would be helpful to others?

Take several years to learn the craft through critique groups, writing conferences and how-to-books, then once it is written, EDIT, EDIT, EDIT! Pay for a seasoned editor. It is well worth the money. Too many indie-pubbed books out there are rough drafts, and poorly written with tons of typos. It hurts all of us, and it will hurt you as well.

Has your writing crossed over into other areas? If so, how? If not, will it?

I am also a devotional writer and have steadily written for several publications for over nine years as well as being a writer/editor for CRU’s digital ministry, The Life Project. My own devotional blog, Where Did You Find God Today?, has readers in over fifty countries.

If you had one person you could meet (think outside the Bible here) and could spend as much time as you wanted with that individual, who would it be?

I’ll have to wait until I get to Heaven, but my maternal grandmother. I never really knew her. She died when I was 2, but everyone who knew her says I resemble her.

If you had one person you could meet (think ONLY Bible characters here) and could spend as much time as you wanted with that individual, who would it be besides Jesus?

The Prophet Amos. He had audacity to speak out, and listened to God’s instructions far more than I do.

Why do you live where you live? 

I live in Fort Worth because this was the last place we moved before my husband died, and I was tired of moving every few years for his job. I wanted roots. I am a native Texan, and so I relate to the folks here.

We lived in the Fort Worth area for six months back in 1993. In the Watauga/Haltom City area. We loved it there.

If you had life to do all over again, would there be any changes? If so, what would they be?

That is a dangerous question, because I truly believe, and have witnessed the truth of Romans 8:28. God uses our messes to grow us and does work things for the good. My knee-jerk reaction would be not to marry the man I did because it was not a good marriage, especially the last twelve of the 35 years together before he passed. But during that time, God molded me, and my faith strengthened tremendously. I think it helped me to become a writer as well.

Is there anything else you’d like to share with our readers about you, or anything we didn’t cover?

All my novels are written to not only entertain but to educate. My characters are real with real issues and problems, and each book covers a social issue, or two, that I want people to become aware of because until we are, how can we be Christ’s hands and feet in our world?

Oh, and by the way, today is Launch Day for Fallen Leaf, the second in the Relatively Seeking Mysteries. To celebrate, my publisher has priced the e-book on Amazon at 99 CENTS TODAY ONLY!! It will then be $1.99 through May 10th.

Congratulations, Julie! New releases are so wonderful! It's like a huge blessing and a huge relief all at the same time.

Thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule to be a part of our ABTS series! May God bless your writing ministry.

Readers, if you wish to find out more about Julie, you can stop these locations in the web!

Visit her blog: Where Did You Find God Today?  http://wheredidyoufindgodtoday.com
Website:  www.juliebcosgrove.com
Facebook:   https://www.facebook.com/juliebcosgrove/
Amazon: Julie B Cosgrove
Twitter @JulieBCosgrove
LinkedIN: https://www.linkedin.com/in/juliebcosgrove


Until next time, May God bless America, and more importantly, may America bless God!


Kevin




Just a reminder, Kevin's new book, When the Clock Strikes Fourteen (A Blake Meyer Thriller - Book 4) is now available! Are you caught up with Agent Meyer?










No comments:

Post a Comment