Wednesday, August 11, 2021

Author Behind the Story Blog Series - Cynthia Roemer

Signing a contract for a new book never gets old. Having just done so for what will be my 10th book by the time of the October 2022 release date, I can honestly say I never thought my writer's life would turn out like it has. Trying to predict how such a journey will transpire is about as fruitless as trying to predict the weather.

Instead, I have learned how to sit on the front porch and enjoy the sound of the raindrops falling from the sky. Listen to the thunder off in the distance. Be amazed by the lightning show and the awesomeness of the power it wields. 

And more importantly, be in awe of the One who created it all. For I know this world as we see it now was not what He intended. The wonder and majesty of what we experience with our senses in nothing like the antediluvian world of Adam, Eve, Cain, and Abel. Yet, even that Masterful creation pales by comparison to what's coming (Revelation 21-22). The Law of Entropy doesn't exist there. And for that, I'll be eternally grateful.

This month, I'm wondering if our next guest on our Author Behind the Story blog series feels similarly. For each author has a journey.

Welcome to the Florida Front Porch, where it is raining right now as I "pen" this missive. It's summertime. Humid. And raining. The consequences of invading a swamp, I suppose.

And welcome to the front porch fellow Scrivenings Press author, Cynthia Roemer!

Cynthia, in classic ABTS tradition, give us a quick bio. In fifty words or less, who is Cynthia Roemer?

I am a country girl who loves the Lord. I enjoy reading, hiking, biking, gardening, and riding side-saddle with my husband in the combine or motorcycle. I consider writing my main ministry and pray the Lord will use it to for His glory.

You mentioned that you were married. Tell us about your family? 

My husband and I have been married twenty-seven years. He is a grain farmer, and farms our small, three-hundred-acre farm the old-fashioned way rotating crops of wheat, soybeans, and corn. We have two grown sons. Our older son recently married (so I have a daughter now too 😀). Our younger son is currently still at home. Both work in Ag related jobs.

When the words aren’t flowing, what is your favorite comfort food and why?

I would have to say my favorite go-to comfort food is chocolate chips smothered in peanut butter. (This is a little-known confession! LOL!)

Little-known? Not anymore.

For all the pet lovers out there, answer this question: Do you have any?

We have one outdoor cat named Chad. I say “outdoor,” but he pretty much gets the royal treatment come cold weather. We often let him in our mudroom on cold wintry days to sleep in a cozy pet bed. He gets milk every morning and likes to go on walks with us.

My aunt and uncle had a farm in Virginia. They had cats infinitum. She would take the leftovers from dinner and put them in a large pan. Then she'd add milk and other things to it before taking it to the barn. The feline woodwork would come alive. Apparently, they never had any mouse of mole issues.

Has your writing crossed over into other areas? If so, how? If not, will it?

I’ve always wanted to write novels, and did write a rough draft of my first book while in college. Then life hit—I married and had kids! So, my novel aspirations sat on the shelf for quite a few years while I raised my boys. But I never stopped writing. I wrote Christian articles and short-stories, gaining a few publications a year until I topped one hundred in print. I also tried my hand at writing church plays and had three of those published. I also wrote Book Reviews for Christian Retailing Magazine. But now that my boys are grown, the Lord has closed some of those doors and opened the door to novel writing. He knew I would need something worthwhile and time-consuming to occupy me as I settle into the “empty nest” years of life. 😀 I do continue to utilize my non-fiction inspirational writing on my Sowing Seeds of Hope Blog.

How do you come up with the names for your characters?

Since I write historical novels, I usually refer to an on-line list of popular names from the time period—census names. Other times, names just come to me that suit the character and I go with them.

As a writer, what is “success” to you? And has that “definition” changed over time as you have traveled down the writer’s path? 

Like all writers, I dreamed of being signed by a large publishing house and selling thousands if not millions of copies. But now, having signed with a small publishing house where we are like family, I know I’m where the Lord wants me to be. To me, success is being obedient to God’s plan and allowing Him to do whatever He chooses with my writing. Whether He touches the hearts of few or many, the outcome is in His hands.

If you had one person you could meet (think ONLY Bible characters here) and could spend as much time as you wanted with that individual, who would it be besides Jesus, and why? 

Boy, that’s a toughy. There are so many. But the first one that came to mind was Mary, sister of Lazarus. Jesus told Martha that Mary had chosen what was best, and it would not be taken from her. I tend toward being a diligent, hard-working Martha that has a hard time sitting still. LOL! I’d love to spend time with Mary and learn what it is to really seek quality time with Jesus and get to know Him deeper.   

When you are looking for a book to read, what are the things that are important to you?

It is really hard for me to break away from reading historical/historical romance. I just love the genre. I do, however, enjoy reading a variety of time periods—Biblical, Regency, Prairie, Civil War, WWI & II. What draws me is a great cover along with an intriguing back cover blurb. It’s also a plus to read a sample of the writing. If those don’t grab me, I’ll likely pass it by. I also have my favorite authors and pay attention to the “buzz” and what others say about a novel for my TBR list.

What Bible scripture has impacted your life the most, and why?

There are so many, but Jeremiah 29:11 is one of the top: “For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” This was the theme verse for my first novel, Under This Same Sky.

Having recently dealt with cancer and treatments, I’ve had to cling to this verse as well as others. Through it all, the Lord has never left my side, and in the worst of times, this verse reminds me He is in control and has a plan for my life.

Just know that we are (still) praying for you and your family.

Is there anything else you’d like to share with our readers about you, or anything we didn’t cover?

I love connecting with readers! The most gratifying aspect of writing to me is positive feedback and gaining a relationship and trust with readers. When I sense the Lord has touched the heart of a reader through something He’s enabled me to write, that brings me joy.

If there is one thing this world needs more of right now it’s kindness. The hero and heroine in my new Civil War novel, Beyond These War-Torn Lands, both face challenges in which they must choose between harboring bitterness or responding with Christ-like love—a challenge each of us face in our daily lives.

Thanks so much for hosting me!

Cynthia, thank you for taking time to share with our readers!

Readers, if you wish to get in touch with Cynthia or find out more about her writing, you can catch up to her in the following locations on the web:

Websitehttps://cynthiaroemer.com/

Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/AuthorCynthiaRoemer/

Goodreads:  https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/16785237.Cynthia_Roemer

Author Newsletter Sign-up: https://mailchi.mp/2a0d03dfaa50/newslettersignup

BookBub:  https://www.bookbub.com/profile/cynthia-roemer

Twitter:  https://twitter.com@cynthiaroemer 

Instagram:  https://www.instagram.com/cynthiaroemer_author/

Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Cynthia-Roemer/e/B06Y1CJ588?ref=sr_ntt_srch_lnk_1&qid=1627407220&sr=1-1

Fiction Finder: https://www.fictionfinder.com/author/detail/1405

 


Until next time, Bless God.


Kevin 

 

 






No comments:

Post a Comment