Wednesday, September 13, 2023

Author Behind the Story Blog Series - Catherine Goonen (aka C. G. Clark)


I logged in to upload this post and was pleasantly surprised. Last month, this blog logged over 3,500 hits. The most ever. We're not even halfway through the month of September, and we're sitting at almost 2,500 already. On one day alone, we had almost two hundred. 

I am so happy, because that's why I started this blog so many years ago. It's to be a database of authors and other writing of mine from way-back-when as a monthly contributor to Seriously Write, a once-in-a-while contributor to More to Life Magazine, and other online locations.

However, it's always been about the other authors, of which I am just one, and the field of writing in general.

So, thank you, to all of you who have found us and are making history here at ABTS. We hope you are finding some new authors to read as a result of a blog like this. Otherwise, you would never have known they existed.

Now, to keep up our ABTS tradition of introducing new authors, please welcome to the Florida Front Porch another fellow Word Weaver, Catherine Goonen! 

Cathy, have a seat in one of our Adirondack chairs, grab an "Arnold Palmer," and in ABTS style, give us a quick bio. In fifty words or less, who is Catherine Goonen? Or should we call you C. G. Clark? 

Hi. I’m Catherine Goonen, a grandmother of nine, and married to a retired military pilot. Writing as C.G. Clark, I’m an award-winning author, and my characters find redemption, restoration, and salvation as they witness the spiritual battle over mankind’s future when their realities collide with the unseen heavenly realm.

Before you ever got a notion of becoming a writer/author, how old were you, and what were you doing in that time of your life?

My father was a computer technician in the Air Force. When I was ten years old, we were living in Great Falls, Montana, and he took me with him to check the computer in one of the missile silos. I didn’t understand the purpose of such an enormous machine, but the flashing lights and strange sounds fascinated me. It filled a room the size of my living room, and it seemed as if the metal, wires, and bulbs had a mind of their own. It was a tangible perspective of a world where rockets launched into space and people walked on the moon, and my imagination began to take off with them.


Sounds like a scene out of War Games? Remember that movie? Good movie. Lots of blinking lights in the WOPR too.

If you had your life to live over again, besides being an author (which we guess would be your obvious answer), what profession would you choose?

If mathematics had not been such a nemesis, I might have become an architect. I always wanted to design something that would make a difference and stand the test of time, like Frank Lloyd Wright did. I also had a serious interest in photography, but never had the time or resources to fully pursue it.

Funny you should mention that. I, too, has dreams of being an architect at one point in my life. Interesting...

Of all the stories/books you have written, which one is your favorite? And what compelled you to write this story?

Of the five books I’ve written so far, I think Restoration is my favorite. It’s the story in which I took the most risks, especially for Christian fiction. My main character, Rebeka, is someone I aspire to be when I grow up. She’s stubborn, determined, and has a fierce faith that can’t be shaken, no matter how hard the enemy tries. (I’m getting there.)

As a writer, if you had one thing you would do over again, what would it be?

To be honest, I would not have listened to all the nay-sayers that kept me from pursuing my writing when I was younger. Even with my first three books, I made mistakes … everywhere … but I took my granddaughter’s advice and self-published them anyway. After all, I could always revise and republish them, which I’ve recently done. I’m not writing to make money. I’m doing it because the Lord wants me to write, and I trust His plan. As long as I do that, I can’t go wrong.

So true.

Knowing what you know now about writing, publishing, etc., what piece of advice would you give to the person thinking about writing that novel they have always wanted to pursue since they were young, or the person who believes they have a non-fiction book in them that would be helpful to others?

In a word, write. Don’t let fear hold you back. Don’t let other opinions sway you. Pray about it, get your marching orders from the only One that matters, then get to work. That’s the “pep talk” part. As for the practical part: read, research, write, read, re-write, and write some more.

And edit. And edit...

How do you come up with the names for your characters?

Good question. I’ve used name catalogs. I’ve researched names in other languages based on what they
mean. Sometimes, it’s a name I hear in passing. They all end up in a database where I can find them when I need them.

Now, let's switch gears and talk about you personally. What’s the craziest thing you have ever done?

I’m not a fan of heights, nor am I a thrill-seeker of any kind. My husband is the one who will happily experience the Sky-Coaster, the Reverse Bungee, or skydiving. I prefer to watch from a secure spot on the ground. But … I took a literal leap of faith on my 60th birthday. I stepped off the top of the Stratosphere Hotel in Las Vegas to drop 855 feet while connected to a cable controlling my fall until I slowed to a standing stop at the bottom. It took approximately seventeen seconds from the time I stepped off the platform until I touched down, unhooked, and walked away.

It's never made sense for me to jump from a perfectly good airplane or rooftop. I guess I'm just practical like that...  

For all the pet lovers out there, answer this question: Do you have any?

I have an opinionated, stubborn, far too smart, very vocal, and extremely loyal black cockapoo named Zander.

You know Zander is short for Alexander, right? And Alexander the Great was very much like your dog, so maybe it's all in the name...

Why do you live where you live?

I’ve lived all over the country, from Maine to California, and Texas to Montana. I was born in Cocoa Beach, Florida, and met my husband in Orlando. When we finally chose where we wanted to build our final home, we chose Clermont, Florida. Despite how it’s grown, it still retains its old-Florida-charm, and has just enough rolling countryside to satisfy the needs of a flatlander wanting a change. We’re almost equal distance from the east and west coast beaches and we never have to shovel snow. Granted, we may have the occasional hurricane, but we know it’s coming can board up the house, head up to Missouri to visit family, and clean up when we get back.

We know “Readers are leaders, and leaders are readers.” Is there a book you’ve read in the past five years or so that has helped you become a better you? If so, which one was it, and how did it affect your life?

Charles Stanley’s The Will of God: Understanding and Pursuing His Ultimate Plan for Your Life. It helped me to decide whether to publish my first book during a time when I struggled with understanding God’s purpose for my life. Even though I know He has a plan for me, sometimes I need to be reminded. This book helped me get back on track.

What Bible scripture has impacted your life the most, and why?

I draw inspiration and courage from Jeremiah 29:11, “For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.” This scripture that has given me the boldness to forge ahead and do what the Father has called me to do … write.

Is there anything else you’d like to share with our readers about you, or anything we didn’t cover?

Writing is the perfect occupation. You can write almost anywhere, with or without the internet. You can even write “old school,” using pen and paper. No matter how or where you do it, you have the ability to bring characters and worlds to life for the enjoyment or enlightenment of others. In a way, God has gifted writers with the ability to create. Perhaps not literally—only He has that power—but it gives us ways to glorify Him that are unique to each author. It’s also a sacred duty, because words have power. They can build up, but they can also tear down. So, handle your gift with care. Foremost, make prayer your constant companion and keep open those lines of communication with He who equips you to do what He has asked of you.

Good advice.

Dear Readers, If you wish to get to know Catherine better, here are some place on the web you can find her and her books: 

~ Website link: https://www.cgclarkbooks.com/

~ Facebook page link:  https://www.facebook.com/CGClarkBooks

~ Instagram link: https://www.instagram.com/cathygoonen7

~ FictionFinder link:  https://www.fictionfinder.com/author/detail/2352

~Amazon Author Page link: https://www.amazon.com/stores/C.G.-Clark/author/B0849V5K84


Thank you again for stopping by and make ABTS part of your busy day!


Me wearing my granddaughter's 
sunglasses several years ago.









Kevin

No comments:

Post a Comment