Wednesday, June 12, 2024

Author Behind the Story Blog Series - Lynnette Bonner

 

The more I traverse this road we call "Life," the more I realize how little it is about me. Contrary to the mantras of the selfie society we currently live within, and where Narcissus would stand and clap all day long in appreciation of millions of people who believe as he did, I find myself becoming smaller. Not physically, mind you, although I would welcome a little of that, specifically in the weight department. Not psychologically, for I've never felt more alive than I do these days and have no suicidal ideations whatsoever. Not emotionally, as if I'm about to burst into song from the '70s. Not spiritually, beating my back with a whip, chanting "Woe is me."

I've become what the Bible calls a "slave of Jesus Christ." And He is my Master. 

I know. I know. You're probably asking, "Where does it say we're slaves?" You might even be thinking, "We're called "servants" in many instances, but never slaves, unless you're talking about being a 'slave of righteousness.' But to call ourselves 'slaves' is demeaning, offensive, and downright mean in today's society."

I challenge you to do a word study. Look up the word "kurios" in the Greek New Testament. Sit down with a cup of coffee, because it will take a while. It's used 747 times. It's the word "Lord." And it means someone who has complete dominion over another. A ruler, a master, who is supreme over others. It is a reference to Jesus. It is Him by another title. And when you are this kind of person - a Master - it is understood that you have "slaves." You cannot be the master over nobody. And in the world where Jesus, John, Peter, Paul, and the remaining disciples preached and wrote their epistles, they understood this relationship very well. It became the dominant motif, the dominant metaphor in the New Testament. 

The word "slave" is the word "doulos" in the Greek. It is used over 150 times in its various forms. It is unequivocal in its meaning. It means exactly what you probably think it means. A "slave" is owned by his or her master. A slave has no rights. A slave does not get to choose where he or she wishes to work, like a servant does, by the way. A slave was a tool in the days of the Roman Empire. A master could kill his slaves with no repercussions, no reprisals in the courts, nothing.

When one starts to dive into this study and sees the metaphor come alive and thus explain our true relationship to Jesus and God (if you look at the Septuagint), then verses like "You were chosen" come alive. Verses like "You are not your own. You were bought with a price" come alive. Verses like "You cannot serve two masters" come alive. When you start to look at all the verses describing our relationship with Jesus in this way, then the Bible really starts to make sense. 

Unfortunately, throughout the centuries, translators have translated doulos as "servant." There are six Greek words that can be translated "servant," and doulos was never intended to be one of them. Why? Because a servant "works for someone else." A servant can pick and choose who that employer is. A servant can take his daily wage and go home. A servant can resign and move on to "greener pastures," if HE OR SHE CHOOSES to do so. A slave, on the other hand, does not have those luxuries. A slave is totally dominated and owned by the will of another, i.e., his or her master. This is why Jesus says on more than one occasion things like, "Why do you call me 'Lord,' but you do not do what I command you to do?" That's the language of a master to his slaves. Slaves do not get to choose to be OBEDIENT. If the master chose them from the slave market (the slave market of sin, in this case), then He expects them to be obedient. No questions asked. And as they prove their allegiance, then He calls the "friends" (John 14) and shares His Father's Will with them more and more. 

So why do I bring all this up? I do so because of two reasons. One, as I mentioned before, I am becoming smaller. I am doing so as I become "a slave of Jesus," just like the disciples and the apostles were. They often started their epistles by describing themselves as a slave of Christ. They did not see it as offensive. They embraced it, because it was the best and most complete way to describe their relationship to their Lord and Savior. Even Paul said how we must be able to proclaim "Jesus is Lord," in Romans 10:9. To truly declare that, one MUST be a doulos. He cannot be "Lord" (kurios) if you are not His doulos. (This might explain why the church as a whole has so many issues, particularly in America. We like being obedient when it is convenient to be so...just like a servant.)

The second reason is why I started this blog so many years ago. To promote other writers, whether my writing career took off or not. I thought it could become a "database of other writers" readers could discover, and in doing so, maybe find a new "favorite" author. Little did I know how God would bless this blog. We are almost at the one hundred thousand hits milestone. Did you hear that? ONE HUNDRED THOUSAND! I am totally blown away at how He has grown this site from its meager beginnings to what it is today. Over the last couple of months, we've seen over three thousand hits alone. That's a 500% increase from the end of last year. And we don't even post as many authors a year as we used to. We used to do one a month. Now we do one a quarter. Yet, God has blessed less with more. That's sounds biblical, doesn't it?

In keeping in step with Him and the purpose of this blog, I want to welcome our next guest to the Florida Front Porch. So, pull up a chair, grab some sweet tea, and welcome a fellow author I have known for years from afar. We "met" as published authors of a now-defunct traditional publisher and have remained "virtual" friends over these years since. She's self-published now, with great success, and is an "information hub" when it comes to that world. She was a guest back in 2019, but I'm sure things have changed since then, right? Please welcome once again, Lynnette Bonner!

Lynnette, we always start off with this question. In fifty words or less, who is Lynnette Bonner? 

I was born and raised in the heart of Africa where my parents were missionaries. Without TV, I spent many joyful hours lost in the depths of a book (even if I had to do it with a flashlight after I was supposed to be asleep at boarding school.) I write spellbinding historical romances full of heart-pounding romantic tension that are uplifting, clean, and wholesome! There are no sex scenes or cussing. Each book includes an inspirational faith thread that brings the reader hope and joy.

Are you married? Single? Have kids? 

I’ve been married for over 32 years. We have four kids and two grandkids. Also a Pomeranian Chihuahua mix and a Ragdoll cat who are more work than the kids ever were!

That was smart. You answered the pet question without answering two questions separately. 

When the words aren’t flowing, what is your favorite comfort food and why? 

Chocolate and coffee. Sadly, the older I get, the less chocolate my waist can handle!

Everybody seems to have a bucket list. Do you? If so, what’s on it? If not, why not? 

I’ve always wanted to visit Australia. Haven’t been able to do that yet. I did recently get to fly in a hot air balloon, and that was awesome! It was something I’d been wanting to do for a long time.

Besides storytelling, what talents do you have? 

I’m a graphic artist who has worked on book cover design since 2012. I’ve worked for many wonderful clients over the years, and several publishers, one of which I’m still working for. I recently had to scale this business way back in order to keep up with writing stories.

Do you have a crazy, interesting, behind-the-scenes story about the publishing world you’d like to tell your readers without boring them to death with industry gobbledygook? 

When I was first pitching books to publishers back in the 1990s, I got rejected by all of them. Through the years, between giving birth to three boys and a girl, I worked on my craft, took writing classes, read all the articles and writing-craft books I could find. In the early 2000s we moved from Idaho to Washington. I was homeschooling three boys and had a toddler, and simply had no time for submitting my book to publishers. I remember praying and telling the Lord, “You gave me that story, and if You want it published, You’re going to have to drop a publisher in my lap.” Christmas of 2006 rolled around and on Christmas Eve of that year, my mom (who is also a writer) sent me an email. She said she’d learned of a new publisher that was just opening their doors and sent me the information. They did not require a (much dreaded) proposal, only a cover letter and the full manuscript. The kids were all in bed, not soundly sleeping, but being good because the next day was Christmas. I sent the publisher an email that night. Honestly, I figured it would be another in a long line of rejections. But six months later I got an email that thrills the heart of any author. “We want to publish your book!” God quite literally dropped that publisher in my lap, which is what gave me the confidence to know that I COULD live this dream that I’d had since Junior High. I’ve been an independent author (not through a publisher) since 2012, but that contract was what gave me the courage to start!

Of all the stories/books you have written, which one is your favorite? And what compelled you to write this story? 

If I had to choose, I would say my stand-alone On the Wings of a Whisper. It took me fifteen years to make sure I had the research on that book right. It is set in Africa starting in 1866, during the time of missionary explorer, David Livingstone.

Tell us about what project you are currently working on. 

I’m currently writing a series that starts in Independence, MO, and then continues on the Oregon Trail. I’m loving it! History and romance are my favorite things!

What’s the craziest thing you have ever done? 

That might be a toss up between eating crazy foods like fried flying ants, escargot, or sea turtle and going up in a hot air balloon, depending on what your fears are. 😊

I have a hard time eating vegetables. Flying ants? Snails? Sea turtle? I'll pass. 

When you are looking for a book to read, what are the things that are important to you? 

I love suspense, romance, and history. If it has one of those elements, chances are it will catch my interest. The cover does have to be well done (If the author doesn’t care about the cover, then chances are the writing is also not strong—not always, of course! But this is a truth I’ve noticed over the years.) I tend to read more contemporary romantic suspense verses historical romance like I write. I think that’s because it gives my brain a break from my own genre.

Is there anything else you’d like to share with our readers about you, or anything we didn’t
cover? 

Thank you for having me! I’m glad to share a little about myself with your readers. As a pastor’s wife, and entrepreneur who wears too many hats, I don’t do blog posts very often, but Kevin and I go way back to that first publisher I mentioned above. So it’s been fun to chat with you all today!

Thank you, Lynnette, for taking time to connect with our readers. I know they appreciate it.

Dear Readers, if you want to get to know more about Lynnette's writing, you can find her at the media outlets below:

Lynnette's Website: www.lynnettebonner.com 

Facebook: www.facebook.com/lynnettebonner 

YouTube: www.youtube.com/@lynnettebonner


Until Next Time,


Kevin







No comments:

Post a Comment